Capsule Endoscopy Prep Instructions
- Do not take any Iron Supplements for 5 days before the procedure .
- Do not take Carafate (Sucralfate) or antacids for 24 hours before the procedure.
- You may take BLOOD PRESSURE and HEART medications the morning of your procedure, 2 hours
prior, with a very small amount of water.
- No smoking within 24 hours before the procedure and during the procedure.
DAY BEFORE PROCEDURE:
After lunch, begin a clear liquid diet. (No solid food or dairy products). It is important to drink
lots offluids to prevent dehydration: Try to drink at least 8 ounces of liquid every hour.
Between 1:00 P.M. and 6:00 P.M., drink a bottle of Lemon-Lime Citrate of Magnesia.
Stay close to restroom facilities.
If you are DIABETIC take 1/2 your usual dose the evening before your procedure.
****NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER 9:00 P.M.****
DAY OF THE PROCEDURE:
- A recoding device will be fitted to a belt that you will wear around your waist on the outside of your
There is a sensor also attached to the belt that is attached to the outside of your clothing. Once
the device is in place, you will be asked to swallow the capsule containing the camera. After swallowing
the capsule, DO NOT EAT or DRINK for the next two hours.
- Two Hours after swallowing the capsule you may take any medications that you normally take in the
morning with clear liquids. If you are Diabetic, take 1/2 your usual morning dose.
- AVOID RED LIQUIDS.
- Four Hours after swallowing the capsule you may have full liquids. Nothing Red and No Chocolate.
- The procedure lasts approximately 8 hours. Do not disconnect the equipment or remove the belt at any
time during this period. Since the recorder is actually a small computer, it should be protected from
damage. Avoid sudden movement and banging of the recorder. If you want to nap during the day, lie flat
on your back. DO NOT lie on your side; this could block the passage of the capsule through your
intestine. A void any strenuous activity. Do not bend over or stoop for prolonged periods.
- Approximately every 15 minutes during the procedure, you will need to check that the small blue light at
the top of the recorder is blinking. The test may conclude sooner than 8 If the blue light stops
blinking, return to the office.
- An event log will be given to you at the start of the study. Throughout the day, record the time and
nature of any event such as eating, drinking, change in level of activity and unusual sensations. Return
the completed event log when you return to our office to be disconnected.
- Do not attempt to disconnect the equipment by yourself The medical assistant will disconnect it when
you return to the office.
- The capsule should pass in your bowel movement within one to two days. Your physician will order an
x-ray of your abdomen if the capsule does not pass.
- Until it is verified that you have passed the capsule, stay away from any source of powerful magnetic
fields, such as an MRI
Coffee (No cream)
Jello (No fruit,No red)
Broth / Bouillon / Consomme
Jelly (No seeds)
Plain sugar candy
Grits, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat